Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 06-17-2006, 09:45 AM
WildcardX
Developer

Also note... One reason why the unix/linux peeps may be saying "looks like it's a problem on Windows servers" is probably because when they loaded MySQL 5 or already had it loaded, it probably doesn't run in strict mode, but strict mode is on by default for a windows installation. Strict mode ensures you are using only proper MySQL 5 commands. On linux and unix installations or any other platform with this turned off, MySQL 5 allows you to "fudge" your commands. It's a bad habbit really and strict mode really should be turned on, in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:39 AM
fireclav
Sarnak

just to clarify, which binaries do i dl (using windows). saw a few in here and didnt wana dl the wrong thing and get my server all messed up
Old 06-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Coleshadowblades
Fire Beetle

I removed the binaries from My server I will replace them shortly thanks Wildcardx for the other mysql alterations I havent found those bugs yet. Yes you are quite correct about why they are so quick to point out its a windows only problem , linux mysql is mysql 5 in non strict mode which allows for dirtier lazier coding of the mysql commands, such as not making fields that have no value untill something happens null. for instance. Now here is the other problem the devs haventupdated the solution files or anything for compilation on windows in quite some time there are files that are missing and not used anymore that are left in the proects and so forth. What the devs ar eneglecting to understand is the main userbase uses WINDOWS MOST people do. and if they are going to offer windows binaries they need to dev for windows compatability as well...
Old 06-18-2006, 08:54 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

The official automatic builds will still only support mysql 4.0 because the mysql runtime libraries are not binary compatible, and as such a binary built against the mysql 4.0 libraries will not work with a mysql 5.0 (or even 4.1 it seems) runtime... however I believe that you COULD install the 4.0 client libraries and the 5.0 server, get eqemu to use the 4.0 client, and connect to the 5.0 server (just a guess)... so far, I havent seen any concrete evidence that 4.1 or 5.0 is any better for eqemu, so until that happens (or 4.0 becomes too hard to obtain), the auto builds will stay on 4.0.

As for the "it is a windows thing" statements, the fact of that matter is that Doodman and I use linux for our servers and development, and as such, do not test the code on windows. Occasionally, I spend some time to build on windows and do basic sanity tests, but I am neither set up nor willing to do extensive testing on windows. We welcome any contributions made by the community to improve windows compatibility.

Please do not take such a negative attitude in the future towards the work we do here. Talking crap about us or the code does nothing but aggrivate us, help is appriciated, criticism without solution provided is not.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:03 AM
WildcardX
Developer

Please don't get me wrong FNW, I am not critizing you or doodman. I am just pointing out a fact that the installation of MySQL 5 for a Windows platform has strict mode turned on and that I believe it is just the opposite for other platforms such as linux, and thus, that is why some people see this particular problem has a "windows" problem. Personally, I could care less what people use to develop with. They are all tools, in my view.

Anyway, I'm not critizing you or doodman or anyone else. All I am saying is the installation is different depending on your platform and that, in my opinion, I favor the use of strict mode in MySQL 5 to enforce proper MySQL 5 command syntax. Again, just my opinion and your milage may vary.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
WildcardX
Developer

As for the which version of MySQL to support dilema, right now it doesn't take much to get the emulator to use MySQL 4.1 or MySQL 5.0. For MySQL 5.0, the only real code change needed was to change the queries that referenced that "condition" column to "_condition" instead. Other than that, it was just a matter of not setting text or blob types to any Default values in the database script and then all you have to do is to compile while referencing the correct MySQL libs.

I agree for now the official builds should go on to support MySQL 4.0.26. But as coding goes forth, I know I'll continue to use MySQL 5.0 now so if/when I see any other code that is too 4.0.26 specific to function on 4.1 or 5.0, I'll not it and I hope you or doodman will use that code so the codebase itself can be used for any MySQL version as long as the server operator does the compiling themselves.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:34 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

my comments above were not directed at you.

Further, yes, the goal is to keep the code base mysql-agnostic for people compiling their own version, so please continue to help us keep up with the newer versions (since we will not likely be using them ourselves) as long as the changes continue to be backwards compatible.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Coleshadowblades
Fire Beetle

Well I was under the impression that this was open source and therefore was open to constructive criticisim ( Such as keeping the solution files up to date and the mysql structures consistant with standard coding practices) My comments were neither incorrect nor inflamatory merely oppinions based on what ive been doing and reading and tinkering with. however the fact that when people do contribute tot he community they usually get flamed or told they are splintering stuff is something you should address since we are attempting to HELP the community get and stay up to date i would think that some would be appreciative especially since as stated you and doodman and the other contributors dont use windows for development i would think that people who are willign to test and work with the windows compatability and later mysql compatability would be welcome even appreciated.

as a side note under the zone project in visual studio or visual c++ Express you need to remove the following from the project to avoid fatal file not found errors...

EQChatPacket.cpp
EQLoginPacket.cpp
EQMailPacket.cpp
EQWorldPacket.cpp
EQZonePacket.cpp

These files are no longer used but the Server.sln file hasnt been updated to reflect this yet. Once i get the souce zipped up and so forth I will post a link to an updated zip of the source...
Old 06-18-2006, 02:33 PM
johane
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleshadowblades
I said WINDOWS specific meaning everyone says "oh thats a windows only error" instead of actually fixing it they pawn it off on windows and just leave it be lol

I don't recall the exact fix, but this is probably due to the changes in how case is handled in table and field names that happen in MySQL 5. The Windows bit is due to Windows being ^&%*&%* about case handling in general.

There's a setting you can use in my.conf to use "old style" case handling for Windows machines. Look it up.

There's also new string handling functions that should be used, but I can't recall exactly what they are. Most people I know just don't let Windows try to be a server that runs MySQL....

Note that this is not intended to be a flame of any kind. But that's probably why you've got the error.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:52 PM
mattmeck

The flame war stops now, I dont care who you are or what you have done.

Stop now, you want to flame take it to PM's.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Ref:Mysql 4.11a for Fathernitwit

Working fine with emulation (compiling and more) on last debian sarge.
You just need to use old password method in mysql config

Ref:Coleshadowblades

I can understand people running on windows will want a working emulation like other on linux BUT i don't think it was more easy to run linux version, perhaps just linux user are more skilled in computer and it was more easy to make it run ? (i'm not skilled !!! :p ).

I'm not a dev, i'm not a database builder, i have make server on windows (first) and linux (now) but when i ask something since 1 year i'm rarely "flamed" ?
I just try to understand myself, read the forum, and ask when i don't understand.
If ear someone say "read the docs" or "use search function" is a flame, of course flame is every day :( But i think flame is more expressive and more impolite.

Now i'm trying to help and sometimes when i'm tired, i'm flame (like you say) some questions... i'm trying to change my manner, but sometimes I crack... like many people who helping in eqemu...

Ref: Mysql4.X vs Mysql 5.0

That's very important ? we can find easy mysql 4.X version, Mysql 5.0 is very better ? and why it is ? for user or devs ? Anyone can explain difference ?

I think if it was just a dev issue, devs must be choose mysql version, no ?
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.

Last edited by Belfedia; 06-19-2006 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 AM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

Also in order for Zone to build with Perl enabled I have to add the these files to the Zone project everytime.

perlpacket.cpp
perl_perlpacket.cpp

I hope this helps some.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfedia
Ref:Mysql 4.11a for Fathernitwit

Working fine with emulation (compiling and more) on last debian sarge.
You just need to use old password method in mysql config

Ref:Coleshadowblades

I can understand people running on windows will want a working emulation like other on linux BUT i don't think it was more easy to run linux version, perhaps just linux user are more skilled in computer and it was more easy to make it run ? (i'm not skilled !!! :p ).

I'm not a dev, i'm not a database builder, i have make server on windows (first) and linux (now) but when i ask something since 1 year i'm rarely "flamed" ?
I just try to understand myself, read the forum, and ask when i don't understand.
If ear someone say "read the docs" or "use search function" is a flame, of course flame is every day :( But i think flame is more expressive and more impolite.

Now i'm trying to help and sometimes when i'm tired, i'm flame (like you say) some questions... i'm trying to change my manner, but sometimes I crack... like many people who helping in eqemu...

Ref: Mysql4.X vs Mysql 5.0

That's very important ? we can find easy mysql 4.X version, Mysql 5.0 is very better ? and why it is ? for user or devs ? Anyone can explain difference ?

I think if it was just a dev issue, devs must be choose mysql version, no ?
For me, compiling the source was much easier under Linux than under windows - I tried two different versions of MS VS, last one was 2005 proffesional - and the first thing i would get were the Microsoft version errors - then there were other errors, errors with the zlib files, and with the SQL lib files. I was manually moving files into the MSVC bin directory and eliminating errors, but eventually there were a few that stayed. One was the MS version errors.
When I tried Linux, I just had to install the c++ libs, it compiled on the first try. The executables ran fine, but I ran into another problem which was (believe it or not), couldn't find login server.
I will try again one of these days, maybe you can help me.