Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Arkendar
Fire Beetle

Default Server question

Well, I assume this is the correct area of the forum to post this. I apologize if it isn't.
As a backstory, I've played EQ since Kunark era, off and on, and more recently flipped between Shards of Dalaya, Irreverent, and Live (well, Test) EQ. Been playing WoW lately, but it has hit the "I have nothing to do but farm for a new char that I'll make in like 3 months" point, which is dull. Plus, I wouldn't mind losing the subscription fee.

Haven't played anything in over two weeks, getting bored on my day off from work, so I figured I'd see if a server exists with what I'm looking for.

I'll just list off things I like and see which server fits it the best, after my one question.
Which is, simply put: I enjoy the "art" of pulling on EQ. Played a monk for years, more recently a bard, which I found I liked more. I've heard Fade doesn't work on any Emu server, however. Is this true?

Okay, on to things I like:
Not limited to original (to Luclin or whatever) expansions. I like the more recent stuff, as well.

Raid mobs tuned down so you are able to kill them without a raid (be it solo, 3box or something like that)

2-3 boxing allowed, preferably.

If any of them are similiar to Irreverent, I like the fact that mobs respawn in an hour on Irrev. Makes it less frustrating to find world mobs I like killing.

Faster exp gain (I don't care if it isn't 5x or something. Double or Triple would be nice, however. I try to play less than I used to.. Leveling at normal pace would take ages, and I'd be tempted to play for long stretches)

To bring back up the expansion stuff, if any have up to DoD, or SoD, would be awesome. Especially if there is an SoD one including mercenaries.

If raid mobs aren't tuned down, I want to be able to progress far enough to at least be able to solo *some* of the older raids (well, by solo I mean 2-3box).

Custom content doesn't matter much to me. I can accept it, but I'm perfectly happy (and possibly happier) with what I know.

Basically: I want a server I can hop on for a few hours and screw around on in some of my favorite areas. I don't want to spend ages upon ages leveling, but I don't want to kill one mob and ding. I want to, after a little while on my chars, be able to run into older zones and kill the raids off.

If raids are tuned down, my favorite expansion would be GoD. If they are not, then GoD isn't quite as important. Mercenaries make me happy (Don't have to be my own healer, which I can't stand doing), but aren't a requisite.
My only real issue with Irreverent is that I just ran out of things to do, it seemed. I might go screw around on it again when GoD is further released, but for now, I need something new.

I think one of my most important things to note is that I don't want to be forced to group. I like boxing because it affords me the ability to play on my own time. If I want to go afk for an hour, I can do that. If I want to pull one mob every 5 minutes, sure, that's alright. Also that I don't have to play for 6-8 hours a day to keep up.

That's all I can think of to mention at this time. Obviously, I don't want *everything* matched up (would be awesome, but I doubt it exists), but a few of them would be nice. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
trevius
Developer

I would suggest any of the preferred custom servers like THF, EZ or Storm Haven. They all have faster leveling and can all be boxed into some higher content. I think at some point, you may need to group up to be able to continue into the end-game content if you are only playing 2-3 boxes, but you should still be able to do pretty well and enjoy yourself on any of the servers.

I think Fade works fine these days, but I don't play a bard, so I am not 100% sure offhand. Mercs don't truely exist in EQEmu yet as they will require a complete rewrite of the Bots system we currently have, but Bots are somewhat similar to Mercs. I think out of those 3 servers I listed, THF has Bots.

I would suggest trying out a few for a couple of hours each and see which you like the best. Every server is a bit different.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Or you could just stay on the Irreverent.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Jeido
Fire Beetle

I recommend trying The Hidden Forest server (THF). Fading Memories was fixed in their code for one, and works just like Live did. Raids will require at least 1-2 groups to do, but it is a custom server. After getting some gear you can easily go rape any old world bosses you want. You can also 3 box most of the custom raid mobs if you are 2-3 tiers ahead of it in gear. There are currently 8 raid tiers on that server, with another coming soon I think.

There are also many guilds that have a high social atmosphere, so you may even be surprised there. A big issue with emu is that everyone usually 5-6 boxes so there's no communication. On THF there are guilds that limit boxing to either no boxing at all, or at max 2-3 toons on a raid. It promotes socialization when people aren't so busy boxing 5-6 toons.

The server is a blast to play on, and I highly recommend you give it a shot. You won't be disappointed =)

PS. Most servers have "Bots", which are essentially EQEmu's version of mercenaries. Type #bot help in game to see how to create one, etc.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Arkendar
Fire Beetle

At Irrev, I'll probably still hop on from time to time to drop a few raid mobs, but I want something not quite as fast paced for now. Your server is amazing, though!

Thanks for the explanation of Bots. Had seen them mentioned, but was unsure what they were. I like the idea. Mercs always appealed to me, as I play support/DPS classes, so never have a healer around. My last trip to Live I was threeboxing a Bard/Necro/Mage, for example. Using a merc to tank and another one to heal.
Unsure what I'll go for now, I know I'll have at least a bard (Gotta have my pulling and Bardspeed. And I guess I'll actually learn my class this time instead of powerleveling him). ..

Looking into THF and SH. Have a friend who plays SH when he gets the time, so might do that. Though I'm liking the sound of THF.
I tried EZ a while back and it just seemed like it wasn't for me.

Thanks for all the answers. I'm off to figure out what my trio shall be.

Actually, I have another question about these bots.
I assume they aren't as good as a "real" player at their jobs. So if I played three DPS classes and pulled up a tank/healer, I probably wouldn't be able to advance as far as if I was playing the healer/tank?
So, would it be beneficial to play my own tank, at the very least? Doubt I can make myself play a healer, but I might.
Atm looking at a Bard + Warrior + I'm unsure. I like monks, but playing 3 melees would drive me insane. As it is, I'm doubtful of my ability to do the bard/warrior simultaneously.
So, simple question, I guess. How decent are the cleric bots? Will they rez dead group members? Keep a half-decent tank alive?
If they work well enough, I'll pull a caster DPS in (probably a necro). If you say I'd probably do it better myself, I'll make a cleric.
I assume there are DPS bots, if I don't need a tank or healer?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Arkendar
Fire Beetle

Hate to double post, but I don't see an edit option, so here goes.

Started up on the Hidden Forest. Enjoying it so far, and I've answered a couple of curiosities I had (being limited to one bot makes things more difficult to choose).

Okay, so, I've made my warrior and bard, and when I assumed each could have a bot in group, I was going to make a wizard and bot a cleric/shaman/ranger. Now that I've discovered the limit to one bot, I have a better question for anyone who can answer. I'd just test it out myself, but it's kind of hard to estimate the usefulness of N class of bot at level 1-10 when everything dies so fast.

For someone who hates playing a healer class, which would you guys recommend? Playing the cleric and using a shaman bot, or the other way around? Never really cared for playing a shaman, either, but I think I could survive slowing.

Main question is really "Which is the more useful bot?" in later levels, is the shaman bot goign to go stupid and decide it wants to heal instead of slow?
Don't really want to have to roll new chars when I start leveling and I find something out..So, anyone able to help?
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Jeido
Fire Beetle

I suggest a cleric bot, shamans get some amazing buffs that bots do not provide. Bots don't get custom spells, they aren't meant to replace actual players. They are mainly useful for helping you level up, and do some initial raid mobs. Past that, their only use is really to cure AE's.

Check their forums and make sure you get their custom files www.thehiddenforest.org . Also, most of your questions will have answers on their forums as well. If you have questions specific to the server, it's best to post there. You'll get faster/better responses.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:38 PM
BassBa311
Fire Beetle

Definitely what Jeido said. Leveling as a cleric, roll a monk bot which is pure ownage. But really between the two, I'd level the shaman for the custom spells and you can count on the cleric bot pretty decently at high levels.

I do on my rogue, and my cleric pretty much always comes through, just let him finish doing his DI buffage and what not.

Again, this is on THF. Amazing server. You're going to love it!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

Fading memories works on PEQ, so I can't really imagine a server where it wouldn't work.