Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Do we actually have a working packet collect tool for current Live ?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 AM
Cripp
Discordant

doesnt look like it... tried lookin around and tried a couple things no luck

www.nugblazers.com
Old 06-05-2008, 03:33 AM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulle View Post
Do we actually have a working packet collect tool for current Live ?
Wireshark (formerly Ethereal).

That is all.

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Cripp
Discordant

if that link doesnt work... http://sourceforge.net/projects/wireshark/

www.nugblazers.com
Old 06-06-2008, 03:34 PM
janusd
Sarnak

If someone could get on Al'Kabor, the Mac server, and get us the spawn info for PoM v.1, that'd be great and this would be the perfect time for it.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Rathora
Fire Beetle

Yep. I am really remembering why I quit live. Why does everybody hate my non-epic 2.0 Cleric or non-epic 1.0 Monk? Ah well, EQemu and SoD for the win XD
Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Knightly
Accomplished Programmer

I logged on for about 15 minutes...I got invited to three BoT groups (or one BoT group by three different members, I'm not sure). They were very nice and didn't even make fun of me when I told them that I had no clue what I was doing since I haven't played EQ in years.

I told them I was just on to see what changed and it would take me too long to make hotkeys and learn how to play again. And I should probably do that in CB and not BoT.

Anyway, I can say that one thing hasn't changed...the RNG still hates me. I /claimed the items and got 3 bracers...
Old 06-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Elephantfood
Fire Beetle

"I /claimed the items and got 3 bracers..."

Apparently they are fixing that today, changes will be live in 15 mins. And by 15 mins I mean 3 hours because Sony runs on a very different clock than the rest of the universe.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:57 AM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
Wireshark (formerly Ethereal).

That is all.

So if we were to use this and go running around zones doing odd things eqemu could potentially be updated for newer content?

Packetcollector was ftw
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 AM
trevius
Developer

Well, as long as you saved the logs, it couldn't hurt... But, we would still need some way to convert the packet information and opcodes so we can actually use them. The packet encryption key would need to be found for live, and then we would need something that uses that key and decrypts the packets and then puts them into a format that can be easily read to pull the data we need out and leave all of the junk filler that we don't.

But, trying to catch up to live is a pain. Since, every time a new patch comes out, we would have to find all of the opcodes again. Unless someone can write a program that finds all of the opcodes automatically and could update the .conf files quickly, it is very unlikely that we would "chase" live updates. They are just too frequent.

It would be a much better option to use a full package like Anniversary, but we are missing many of the opcodes needed to get it running properly. And we don't have the packet collects needed to get them and have no way to do packet collects on it now. There may be other ways to get the opcodes, but they certainly aren't as easy.

What we need is for EQ to release another all inclusive pack, but I don't see that happening any time soon. It is already hard to find EQ on the shelf of any store that sells PC games. It seems like they are moving more towards only doing digital downloads and stopping the release of actual in store boxes. And, the digital downloads won't do, because they automatically patch to live.

The one thing I was kinda curious about is the Trial for EQ Trilogy free download. That is a packaged download zip file, so it doesn't need to be patched to work. I am wondering if the version of the eqgame.exe included in that is from around the time that anniversary came out. If so, it might be possible to use the Trilogy download as the main client for the emu. Then, if the eqgame.exe is an updated one, you would probably get most of the latest features with it. It should be able to run most of the latest zones I think. If that is the case, then you could copy the EQ directory from the Trilogy download setup and then use the second copy of it to patch to live. Then, pull all of the zone files from the live directory and put them in your Trilogy folder and we should have a free, current version of EQ that doesn't require anything illegal to get it and never needs to be patched so the same version could be attained by all. Still, all of the opcodes would need to be found though, lol. This is just an idea for an updated version of the emu that anyone can get. The free part is just a bonus. Doubt this would ever happen, but just thinking aloud here...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Deimos
Hill Giant

It's nice to see that EverQuest Emulator is still around ^_^.

Well, I would imagine that at one point the only way they could get people to play EverQuest is if they made it free. It's such an outdated game right now and it rates up with all the f2p games at the moment.

They still have subscriptions with people so they can't very well shut it down. At this point I just think that it's heading towards a free to play game.

Way to go Sony ^_^

EverQuest 2 doesn't sound like it might be doing so hot either. WoW is pummeling it down. Actually, a lot of the sony games aren't doing too well.. ;o
Old 07-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Jonathan5
Sarnak

The sad thing is that if Live eventually did go free, I don't think I'd play anyways. It's not what it use to be.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Deimos
Hill Giant

Well, I decided to get a 2 year subscription...

Cost- $194.95 or something

Discount- The entire cost...

Well, guess I got 2 years for free... along with all the expansion packs for free.. go me.