Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Default Anyone interested in client development?

Before you all go running let me say a few things. This client, or at least as far as I will take it, will likely never have full network support for interaction with the EQEmu code. I am doing this to simply learn about coding, file formats, OpenGL, rendering, and my passion, engine development.

I am a few days into the project and things are looking good. The main development will focus on classic zones and work its way forward to support newer zones. If you are interested in helping and know C++, even if you are a beginner and want to help, please PM me.

The eventual goal, as I am very interested in engine development, is when I have EQ zones perfectly rendered, to add new stuff EQ never supported. Per pixel lighting, shadows, dynamic weather, realistic water. And let me state right here that no zone files are modified in any way and will never be. This is purely an educational and learning project and I figured a few of you might want to help.

The project will be open source as soon as I have the code base in a relatively stable manner. Also, if you are interested in helping you must obtain your own zonefiles as I will never distribute any.

Also, on a related note, is Windcatcher around at all? Have a few questions for him about the stubborn WLD format.

Thanks for your time!

Preview:

Note: Texture masking/fog and light sources are not implemented yet. I have only been developing for about a week in my spare time. Also, the frame rate is a representation of the rendering of every polygon in the zone without culling.