Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Godhand
Fire Beetle

Default ReExperience EverQuest / REEQ Think Tank

I was going to post this in the Server discussion forum but I didn't want to get this mingled in with servers that are actually up and available right now. If this needs to be moved somewhere else then whatever.

I want to get some discussion and perhaps interest going for a server I've been quietly working on the past few months.

The goal of REEQ is to emulate the launch of EverQuest with knowledge I've obtained in the 10 years EverQuest has been released. The goal is to not give a 100% classic feel, but to release a quality MMO. The server will begin with classic zones only and progress until Velious. Past Velious I will not release anymore expansions, but I may release "custom expansions" of a few zones at a time.

Basically, everything will be the same but different. It's custom EQ but at the same time it's not. Basically look at this server as EverQuest Leaf Green. I'm taking the original game and improving it the best I can. I'll try to patch "problems" with classic EQ as I see fit, for example more weapon options so you don't go from wielding a Fine Steel Long Sword to a Short Sword of the Ykesha. Some spells may be changed, quests may be changed, etc. Knowledge of the original game will be beneficial but at the same time there will be a lot of new spawns and things to learn.

The largest change will be with raids. I'm throwing out the asstacular "tank this mob until it death touches you" encounters and actually putting in scripts and interesting abilities on ALL raid mobs. IF I can get a large enough community, what I would really like to see is 2-3 raid guilds with some guilds being able to do some content while others being able to do other. That will basically show me that I've succeeded. I'm really trying to put in a large variety of types of events to test a wide gamut of raiding expertise. More on this later.

A lot of new raiding encounters will be added to classic, with some extras in Kunark, while Velious mostly has enough raiding options. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Mayong Mistmoore will be attackable in his castle. His event consists of him "turning into" vampire bats at certain %s. Everytime he respawns as himself he gains new and fun abilities.

The Planes are mostly completely reworked. Minis are interesting and itemized, not DT machines that drop a fire emerald if you kill them. Fear minis have abilities that synergize with each other and require a bit of thinking to find the "work around" to their AEs. Hate minis are some really difficulty and interesting encounters that I'm pretty excited about people perhaps going up against someday.

Basically, if you're a raider or just an EQ fan at heart you should really enjoy this server. I've got maybe 85% of the classic raid encounters completely scripted with the vast majority of that 15% being Plane of Sky. I'm really excited about Plane of Sky as the final raid zone of Classic. Finally you'll be able to experience this zone in an enjoyable manner.

Something I mentioned about with the "wide variety of raid encounters." I'm currently tossing around in my head with what the community would and would not enjoy. Personally, I'm a big fan of PVP. My major question is whether zone-wide pvp in certain raid zones would be supported. For example, Temple of Solusek Ro has been turned into a sort of Ring-like raid event. I think it'd be great to add PVP to the zone, making it so that guilds who excel at PVP would be able to complete this encounter.

Anyways, this is now my thread to talk about my server. Any questions / comments / concerns should be posted. I'm not even promising that this server will ever reach the light of day, but it really is amazing how much work you can get done every day when you're unemployed