Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:05 AM
techguy84
Discordant

Default State of the Project

I have been dodeling around the forums for the past few days and something has come to my attention.

Is this project starting to die?

I say this because it seems like there is just less and less going on. More people just moving on to greener pastures, or just getting bored with it. I used to frequent the project a long time ago, and things seemed more up then they are now. I dont know, make me feel blue as I have come back to it only to find its slowing down.

Things that lead me to this conclusion.

Updates - There was frequent updates all the way up to 3/15, then they stopped.

Post - I am not seeing a lot of new post in most catagories. Some things are over 2 months old.

People leaving - Some great people to this project have or are about to leave. Mostly due to the fact of it getting boring, old, stale, slow, ect...

Maybe I am just catching it at a bad time, I dunno. I know that I have swore to complete my guide as a contribution ot the project, but I'm worried by the time its done, will it just fall on deaf ears.

I dont know if this is the kind of attention that is wanted here, but what if we was to push the project. Tell people that have never heared of it to take a look, through signatures, blogs, things of that nature. I can think this may be bad for the emu, as more attention from users means more attention from SOE and company.

Anyhow, just rambling on, I know I am not going anywhere for now, but I dont have the same background as some other people as I am kinda new again, so things are fresh to me.

On a added note, I think that it is simply more or less the player distrobution amongst the servers, with most people starting a new server. This does kinda cause issues as you find people scattered instead of united, but this is the heart of the project, the abilty to go on your own if you wanted to.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 AM
whirll
Fire Beetle

I think some of the people left for Vanguard, but as that game sucks, im sure some are coming back
Old 04-20-2007, 12:11 PM
techguy84
Discordant

I have yet to try vanguard. I cant find anything that quite works for me like everquest did, but as far as pay to play games, the only thing I thouch is EQ2.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
KLS
Administrator

Quote:
Updates - There was frequent updates all the way up to 3/15, then they stopped.
While I wont argue that updates are less frequent lately, there have been several since the download page updated on 3/15.. not sure what's up with that exactly.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Actually, with the Updated thing, I am going to retract that for two reasons,

1. The emulator is very very stable at the moment. Which would lead to less updates.

2. The updates that have not been compiled into binary for download are probably smaller fixes and that they are currently working, in way, to make a newer stable version, possibly 0.8.0 this may be just a theory, but It makes sense to me.

Partly what has gotten me so down is I have been digging in the past, with post from 2-4 years ago. I have come to realize that that was back then and in no way affects the current era of the project.

Things were more alive back then, but there was also alot of turmoil, and some people broke off taking a user base with them. In essense the project, or the idea is very much alive, just factioned off, with the others not even being part of the main project here.
(This is just my take on it. I was not around when this all happend back then, so i could be very much wrong)

Anyhow, I feel better now that I have casted "Quit being so damn depressed" with my lvl 800 Shrink so its all good now.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Kayot
Discordant

I think what kind of kills the EQemu is it's inability to expand as a server. Every one links into a single server. A central server that can fail. This leads to the theory that one day, there might not be a central EQemu server. Thats the question I've been facing for a while now.

Does any one know how the Scorpius2K server bypassed that limitation?

There are other things too. Like the program can't reload the item/loot/(Established Merchant lists) databases while it's running. The console lacks any real commands. At least any that are documented.

Maybe it's just me, I've run a few other servers (non-eq) and while there where a million+ server out there all posing something the others lacked, it felt like the community's were alive. Here it feel like a dusty room with a few people huddling around the last candle on earth.

I'm probably reading too much into it... Things will probably get better. I hope.

God doesn't give second chances... Hell, he sets you up the first time.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Elysius
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayot
I think what kind of kills the EQemu is it's inability to expand as a server. Every one links into a single server. A central server that can fail. This leads to the theory that one day, there might not be a central EQemu server. Thats the question I've been facing for a while now.

Does any one know how the Scorpius2K server bypassed that limitation?

There are other things too. Like the program can't reload the item/loot/(Established Merchant lists) databases while it's running. The console lacks any real commands. At least any that are documented.

Maybe it's just me, I've run a few other servers (non-eq) and while there where a million+ server out there all posing something the others lacked, it felt like the community's were alive. Here it feel like a dusty room with a few people huddling around the last candle on earth.

I'm probably reading too much into it... Things will probably get better. I hope.
As far as I know, it's because the EQEmu dev team never released the code for the Loginserver. Scorpious2k and Shards of Dalaya both coded their own, which is how they bypassed that part.

I'm sure (or I would hope at least) that if Eqemu was ever to die, the devs would release the Loginserver code to the public.

That said I don't think EQEmu is dying at all... things have definitely been way slower than they are now. In fact, the current build is by far the most stable than ever.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 PM
mattmeck

S2K and SoD did not code there own login servers.

They simply did not update to the latest EQEmu version and are running on older login servers that Doodman keeps up for them.

The login server code isnt being handed out for many many reasons, all covered in the forums about every 6 month. Talking about that isnt anything new, and im sure people will always bitch about it, but its that way for so many reasons.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

You have to set a goal and finish it, tackle every hurdle that gets in your way.
90% of what I now know about MySql and Perl, I learned here - at first they (Perl, MySql) were just two more setbacks.
You spoke about background: I have none. I'm a "highschool flunkie". I think they graduated me so they would'nt have to see my face another year. But I have a motto: "if he can do it, so can I" - and I always do my best to finish what I start, no matter how insignificant it may seem to me or others (you need to finish what you start). I chose the database portion of the project, because I really wanted to see some zones completed as I saw them on live. I think detailed database work and research is very needed.
So really, there's nothing to it - you just need to comit yourself (to yourself) and don't look back or to your sides. The rest will come easy, and you'll learn a lot.
There are plenty of "eqemu vets" who read these forums and don't post much anymore, but will speak up and post if they see you hard a work, and need help.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
mattmeck

Another thing people arent taking into account, there use to HAVE to be a lot of EQEmu versions put out quickly because we were chasing live. As it is now Eqemu is very stable, a lot of stuff has been getting fixed etc.

There are some bugs that will never be able to become fixed, and most of the current work has been DB work, or work on the Login Sever, neither of which requires an update of the EQEmu software.

Add the fact that Titanium inst for sale anymore and we may need to upgrade to the new anniversary pack, or live, and the Dev's are looking at a lot of different things.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:23 PM
EliseusKayne
Fire Beetle

TBH, imo the truth of the matter is lack of any good servers, and too many bugs, back in the day when there were less expansions etc... felt like more was completed and more zones were filled etc... but now just feels like im doing same thing over and over on every server
Old 04-21-2007, 01:09 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Some people may want the login in server, I do not. I dont think It should be handed out because it keeps us all together, and there is more control over the project. If the login source was given out, we would have tons of sites popping up, with no knowledge of things going on here, and that would mean more problems overall.

Making the move to a new anniversary pack may be a good decision, as tough as it may be. But what about after that one goes off into never-seen-again-ware. I am all for Wind's Idea with the new client, but that is a monsterous undertaking to achieve. More help is better, and that will allow us to break away from SOE, but then what do we call this Project, OZEmu (Which sounds cool btw). It would be great, but not with-out alot of downsides also. I hate that it's like this. Personaly, I wouldnt mind seeing the EQ2 Emu in action, as that would breath life back into everthing. Knowing what we know now about the current Emulator, make the transistion is more or less just make the compatibilty work.

I just discovered the whole SoD thing yesterday, as I was looking around going, How do they do that since your patching up, then it hit me, with there methods to allowing you to play. Not going to go into it, as it's a big no no here, and everywhere else. I dont like it, but what can I do. /sigh

Angelox, you are very right. I never in my life would of though I could do anything with mysql, but when i look at it now, I am supprised by how simplistic it is, time consuming, but simplistic once you know what your doing. As far as coding for the emulator itself, well, lets just say I'm 3 years old again.... /sigh

I kinda made the OP inlight of how I used to remember the emu, back when we had peeps like Shawn319 (cant forget that huge sig he had), devn00b, image, WR and S2k, back when we were chasing live. Oh those were the days, I had a 15gb HD and having two things of EQ installed was killing me. Things were more active back then, because thats all that was out back then. EQ was where the cool people hung out, and then people hear about the free version, with all its perks, and then they come here(how I heard).

EQ isnt all that big anymore, most of the people on the MMORPGs today dont even know about EQ and how it was. WoW is the king now, IMO soon to be Vanguard given its features. Most WoW people know EQ as EQ2 as well as most EQ2 players. You show them the graphics in EQ1, and they scolf like WTF is that lame game.

But not me, and not most of us here. We know how great it used to be. Most people moved on, like I said, to greener pastures, and I have come to realize that now.

Anyhow, Im going to shut up now, As I can go on and on and on, but post space is limted, and overposting should be a viloation of rules.... lol.
(What the heck is he thinking, making me read all of that!!)

Last edited by techguy84; 04-21-2007 at 09:16 PM..
Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

I can tell you that from the database end EQEmu is far from dying. I spend time everyday working on PEQ, and we're getting closer to a release.

As for the coding end, it's slowed a bit because fewer people are working on it, but I can tell you KLS is indeed still active and there has been updates since the downloads on the main page. Not minor updates either, hell one is a patch that pretty much fixes Berserkers. Not sure why the main page updater isn't working, but the code is publically available via CVS.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

My point is, a lot of people here rant about "EqEmu is dying" , but don't help out. I could have done the same, but decided to pitch in and help.
If we all helped and did what we could , this project would be a lot further ahead.
I still think EqEmu Forums should be the home base for all types of EqEmu programming, be it database or code (and I don't mean "custom" database or code). This would bring the few of us closer together.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 AM
techguy84
Discordant

I'm chipping in right now, in the only way that I can until I learn a little more about sql. I would really like to learn some C, but I still would have it hard when it comes to working on the emulator as there is so much more than just C involved.

The database stuff I could probably do, but I cant packet collect on EQ1, and I dont have anyone that could possible do it. So at this moment, I want to get my guide done. Then I am probably going to pick up some books on Mysql and C++ and start learning. I was in college for coding, but I left due to the fact that Devry was charging me 6k a trimester, and I ran out of money.

Anyhow, I do see that things are indeed moving along, I was just referenced by the way it was like 5-6 years ago(I think), as it has been quite sometime since I have been gone.