Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Elysius
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayot
I think what kind of kills the EQemu is it's inability to expand as a server. Every one links into a single server. A central server that can fail. This leads to the theory that one day, there might not be a central EQemu server. Thats the question I've been facing for a while now.

Does any one know how the Scorpius2K server bypassed that limitation?

There are other things too. Like the program can't reload the item/loot/(Established Merchant lists) databases while it's running. The console lacks any real commands. At least any that are documented.

Maybe it's just me, I've run a few other servers (non-eq) and while there where a million+ server out there all posing something the others lacked, it felt like the community's were alive. Here it feel like a dusty room with a few people huddling around the last candle on earth.

I'm probably reading too much into it... Things will probably get better. I hope.
As far as I know, it's because the EQEmu dev team never released the code for the Loginserver. Scorpious2k and Shards of Dalaya both coded their own, which is how they bypassed that part.

I'm sure (or I would hope at least) that if Eqemu was ever to die, the devs would release the Loginserver code to the public.

That said I don't think EQEmu is dying at all... things have definitely been way slower than they are now. In fact, the current build is by far the most stable than ever.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 PM
mattmeck

S2K and SoD did not code there own login servers.

They simply did not update to the latest EQEmu version and are running on older login servers that Doodman keeps up for them.

The login server code isnt being handed out for many many reasons, all covered in the forums about every 6 month. Talking about that isnt anything new, and im sure people will always bitch about it, but its that way for so many reasons.