Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 AM
jman0war
Fire Beetle

Default newbie question

Hi,
This project looks very interesting.
I used to play EQ many years ago and really enjoyed it.
I would like to ask a couple questions if u don't mind.

1. All i have to do is purchase this, install it and (after creating an account here) connect to a server and play?
Or, must i setup my own server?

If the former, how are the servers performing?
Is it good enough?
I'm connecting from Ireland, are there any long running/stable servers located in Europe?

Also, is it adviseable to get EQ Secrets of Faydwer PLUS expansions? Like this?
Or is most of that redundant?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 AM
trevius
Developer

Hi, welcome to EQEmu

Yes, you can purchase that first one you linked. SoF includes all previous expansions, so it is the exact same as the other one you linked. That is a good price for it too (4.99 buy it now), but the 12$ shipping makes the deal not quite as good :P

Once you install that, you can just follow this guide:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide

Then you will be able to play on any of the many servers without having to setup your own or anything. Though, you can always set your own up at any time as well if you want to.

Most of the popular servers perform very well and yes, there is even a European Server named "The Hidden Forest".
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 AM
jman0war
Fire Beetle

Hi,
Thanks for the tips.
I'm in the game now The Hidden Forest server.
It's nice to re-visit some of my old haunts, although they are entirely empty of players.
Regardless, i do have a couple more newbie questions, being the case that the UI has been completely overhauled since i played.

- How do i view an items stats?
For example when i mouse over a Sword whether it's equipped or sitting in my inventory i don't see any stats at all. Have i inadvertantly closed a window?

- Amour
I have none. Since i am playing in empty zones are there merchants who sell Chain or Leather armour or should i try to learn smithing? (i've never actually pursued that skill before).
Old 09-28-2009, 06:01 AM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

To view an item's stats, I always use control+alt+click from habit, but I think there is an easier way.

As far as server specific questions (armor and what-not), I play on THF so shoot me a tell when you are in-game some time because those questions and others you may have would a bit easier to address there. There is a lot of information also located in the guides section of our forums.

Jerant the Loremaster - Cleric
Hans Poisondirk - Rogue
< Evolution >
Old 09-28-2009, 06:01 AM
OscarGrouch05
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the tips.

How do i view an items stats?

Alt + W brings up the window bar
Alt + I = invotory window

a good place to start.
Armor good old black burrow
the bricks of ore
water is used as well
you'll have to lookup
the recipes for what
your trying to do..

Another good idea
A Druid lvl 65 to make Embude diamonds
for maken them you'll need:
Rader blood
can be found in skyfire

Diamonds
makes Embude diamonds
Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 AM
trevius
Developer

To view an item's stats, you can simple right click on it and hold it for a second. A window with the stats will pop up. You can also hold and move the mouse a bit and that will make the window stay open so you can view multiple at once easily.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

The Hidden Forest is also a highly customized server, where they offer their own set of customized gear to help you on your journeys. If you go back to the starting zone with all the teleport NPC's, and utilize the fairies that have specified levels above their heads (e.g. 1-30) and hail them, they will tell you customized zones such as Crushbone and Paludal Caverns.

These zones you'll find items dropping that don't fit. I recommend gearing up via that method and then visiting the zones of old times to re-experience them. (They'll likely be a LOT more trivial however).

Also don't forget to type #bot help, and #bot help create in /say (default channel when you talk). You can spawn a bot to assist you in your battles. This is a minor patch to the fact the server does not have a very large population. You may only utilize 1 bot per group however. On top of that, as you go around and find loot, you can hold the item on your cursor and type #bot giveitem, while your bot is targetted, and the bot will put on the item you selected.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 AM
jman0war
Fire Beetle

Ok thanks everybody.
Is there a way back to that stating-out zone... other than the obvious?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Tharkun
Hill Giant

in the zones that were altered in THF there are fairies near the ZL, talk to them. Otherwise, your looking at some sort of gate method.