Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 AM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

Default Peculliar problem - crash on server connect

Greetings,

I read the other thread that is simillarly titled but I believe I have a different problem though it appears to be the same in many ways.

First of all, I can play live without problems. Also, my two installations of Shards of Dayala work without problem too. I am wanting to try out Shadow Haven which is why I am trying to do this. From a hardware perspective, everything should work well since the other installations are running with no problems.

I've had EQEmu running before, but have since done a re-image. The one big difference I can see is that now I am on DX10 (hate that it is not downgradable), but like I said, the other ones work fine still. I even did a clean install to make sure that everything was good.

So here is what happens: regardless of what server I choose, immediately after I choose one I get an eqgame.exe crash. Unfortunately I can't find a debug file to say what is going on, but it is 100%.

Regarding the thread on dual/quad cores, I am on a core duo system, but when I try to "Set Affinity..." I get an access denied error even though I can get set affinitiy for other processes. I thought that was strange so that may be my problem, but I can't see a way around it.

I think that's about everything I can say and I hope that someone may have some insight into why I am only getting this error for EQEmu.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 AM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

Ok, an update: I was able to download MS's Process Explorer to mess with the affinity setting so that wasn't it. Also, I can't seem to find how to edit my post, but it is Storm Haven I am trying to connect to
Old 06-23-2008, 10:05 AM
nosfentora
Discordant

It could be your screen resolution - change your desktop res to 1024x768 and see if that helps. i've had the same problem on DX9 and 10
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
trevius
Developer

You can only edit your post within the first 5 minutes of posting them.

And ya, you might want to mess with your resolution. I don't know the specifics on fixing resolution issues, but you can probably try your eqclient.ini file and make adjustments there or run the eqconfig.exe program (or whatever it is called in the eq directory) and change the resolution there. Also, maybe even changing your desktop resolution or setting EQ to run in windowed mode might help.

You could possible still have dual core issues, but normally they don't crash instantly after selecting a server. You might want to try some of the other solutions on the thread below. Upgrading to SP3 can help, or running in compatibility mode. And if you are using an AMD processor, you should get the AMD Optimizer program.

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25327
Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

my eq is set to run at 1920x1080 in game, but if i start eq w/ my screen @ that resolution it crashes. i have to drop my desktop res to 1024x768, run eq, then alt+enter to full screen and 1920x1080 kicks in - haven't neded to edit the .ini files yet.

hope it's helpful
Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 AM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

Well, over the past few days, amid internet downtimes and other various annoyances, I've been trying all sorts of res combos on both my desktop and for the client. I've tried every compatibility mode too and nothing. I just can't understand why it won't work this time because last time it was so easy and you would think after a re-image it would be easier (less garbage to mess things up).

I'm not running an AMD processor.

I really think I am about to give up since I would think the problem is my use of DX10. It's the only large change I have made and also something I can't really fix without re-imaging again.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 AM
trevius
Developer

Well, I think vista comes with DX10 on a fresh install and it works for the emu. I too suspect that it could be DX10. One thing to try if you haven't already is to upgrade to Windows XP SP3. You just download the SP3 update and install it. That comes with a lot of fixes for new hardware and maybe will help the game work better with DX10 if that is the issue. Also, make sure all of your drivers are up to date.

Another thing that I know can cause crashes in EQ is sound. Maybe try disabling sound completely in the options menu and see if that makes any difference.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:22 AM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

Initially I had SP3 running, but thought that may be the culprit so I removed it and did a full non-SP update. You can never tell with new SP's sometimes, but now it seems that it was not. I just now tried a brand new Emu installation so I will give it a shot to see if there was anything there. I'll also try without sound.

Failing that, I'll repatch to SP3 and try that.

Thanks for taking the time to help me, everyone
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM
nosfentora
Discordant

Another thing that helped with one of the crashing issues I had was uninstalling, deleting the eq directory (save your character ini files for UI positioning and macros), and re-installing EQ.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

After my re-installation, it still wasn't working - exact same problem. I even deleted the directory (didn't have any active UI files anyways). Running without sound also did not make a difference. I was out most of the day so now that it's evening I'll try the SP3 update when time (and baby) allows

By the way, where do I put the "windowedmode=TRUE" in the eqclient.ini and is that the correct form? It wasn't there so I dropped it in the first section.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 AM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

I found this little section of dbg.txt ... why would it be choosing this resolution as opposed to the one selected through the client options?

2008-06-26 07:26:50 Activating window.
2008-06-26 07:26:51 Picking a default resolution, desktop is 1280 x 800, 32 bits
2008-06-26 07:26:51 Ratio is 1.60
2008-06-26 07:26:51 Resolution selected 1280 x 800, 32 bits
Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

Ok, this is annoying. This morning I tinkered around with the eqclient and actually made it to the character select and I thought ... "woohoo! I fixed it" and then I logged out. Of course I had to leave and didn't get back until now, but I'm getting that same error again.

The changes I made on the last attempt which worked was manually setting my eqclient res to my native desktop res (1280x800). However, of course, the setting stayed and now I can't get back in.

Oh well ... the fun in troubleshooting is wearing off so I think I'm going to concede to defeat and move on to other things. Thanks to everyone for your help!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:38 PM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

Amazing as it may seem, EQ Play Nice was the culprit. Go figure ...