Thread: Finding Opcodes
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Last night I made a discovery that I am sure some of you were already aware of, but I wasn't and I thought it was worth mentioning here; ShowEQ is still being updated and is current with EQLive! I had just assumed that ShowEQ was abandoned in 2003 or 2005 and was replaced by MQ. I know that much of the info in the opcodes .conf files was attained from ShowEQ. So, wouldn't ShowEQ be a useful tool in finding Opcodes and maybe packet structure as well? I would think that it might be a good packet collector for this project, but I could be wrong. Maybe even some of the source code in ShowEQ could be useful in updating the Emulator source to work with later versions of EQ.

I haven't found an archive of ShowEQ versions, so I don't know if there is a version that might work with Titanium or Anniversary Edition. But, I think the current one could be useful in maybe getting fully patched version of EQ working with the emu.
I actually brought this up in another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
Ah, the billion dollar question... How to find OpCodes

I've thought about this myself, and have run into a few roadblocks. Here are the possibilities I've thought of to get these bad boys from the client:
  1. Packet sniffing
  2. eqgame.exe
  3. Grabbing from old versions of SEQ

Option 1 wouldn't be too bad, except you have to decode the packets, which makes just using Ethereal, etc, not very helpful. I think there are some utilities in the server source (using Perl) to decode the packets, but I haven't personally messed with any. Ideally, you could just do something on the client, the look for an OpCode that seems out of place.

Option 2 would probably be the best way to dig out OpCodes, especially ones we have no idea about, but it requires a lot of work and knowledge about Assembly (which I don't). As linked above, there is some info in the Wiki that gives some general info about doing this, but it's a little above my head.

Option 3 would probably be the easiest way at this point, since the work has already been done. However, unless something was just overlooked in the original SEQ files, I'm pretty sure we have all of the Titanium OpCodes we can get from SEQ. It looks like the same goes for Anniversary edition. On the plus side, it gives us a good place to start for the Live client.

Of course, if it was going to be easy, everything would be working by now
All of the links at the bottom link to the OpCode files in the ShowEQ CVS/SVN repositories. This is where a lot of the OpCodes came from in the .conf files. Looking at the source (different files of course) from the same time, we should be able to find out at least some of the structures, if we don't know them already. However, taking a quick peek myself, I wasn't able to find any clear cut "structures" file, so it's probably all spread out through the source.

My Contributions to the Wiki