Thread: Finding Opcodes
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
trevius
Developer

Ya, I figured that the packet structures were changing and causing issues as well.

So, if we do ever start working on getting anniversary edition or another version of EQ working, we have to update the opcodes in the .conf files, but we also have to update the /common/patches/<client version>_structs.h? Looks like maybe the /common/patches/<client version>.cpp might need to be updated as well.

In general, are the packet structure changes a complete restructure, or just minor changes that still keeps most of the previous packet structure in place? Or would the entire structure need to be redone from scratch for any that change?

Last night I made a discovery that I am sure some of you were already aware of, but I wasn't and I thought it was worth mentioning here; ShowEQ is still being updated and is current with EQLive! I had just assumed that ShowEQ was abandoned in 2003 or 2005 and was replaced by MQ. I know that much of the info in the opcodes .conf files was attained from ShowEQ. So, wouldn't ShowEQ be a useful tool in finding Opcodes and maybe packet structure as well? I would think that it might be a good packet collector for this project, but I could be wrong. Maybe even some of the source code in ShowEQ could be useful in updating the Emulator source to work with later versions of EQ.

I haven't found an archive of ShowEQ versions, so I don't know if there is a version that might work with Titanium or Anniversary Edition. But, I think the current one could be useful in maybe getting fully patched version of EQ working with the emu.

ShowEQ has install instructions for Redhat and Mandrake, but I run Debian, so I am still working to get it to compile properly. I have been able to get the ./configure to run, which is supposed to auto configure so that the make will run without errors, but the make is still erroring on pcab stuff. I will keep messing with it. Hopefully, once I get it running, I can find out more info on if it will be useful for this project or not.

I have already pulled many of the opcodes in the current Live version of ShowEQ and put them in my live.conf file. But, I haven't reset my server yet to see what results from that.

I am trying to look in every direction possible to find a helpful solution for getting the emu updated. Ultimately, I think it would be best if I could understand the output from IDA Pro, but I can't make much of that yet... So, I am trying it from other angles until I learn more.

Here is the link to the showeq website:

http://www.showeq.net/

It includes a link on that page to the current version of the source.