View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 AM
trevius
Developer

Default Everquest: Seeds of Destruction - Packet Collects?

So, the new expansion just came out 10/21/08. I was wondering if anyone has a good way to collect packets from it for the emulator. I am mainly concerned with finding something we can use to find all of the new Opcodes and Packet Stuctures. If we have something available, I can go out and buy it and start collecting ASAP before too many patches get put on. The expansion includes all previous expansions, so it should work perfectly as an upgrade to Titanium. And, the more Opcodes and Packet Structures we can get, the easier it should be to use it as a potential upgrade.

I know that would involve alot of work, but SoE is planning to only release expansions every year or so now. So, our chances for getting collects on a fairly fresh (mostly unpatched) version of the Live are limited.

I am guessing that if I logged everything with Wireshark, it should be able to get pretty much everything we need. Just feeding through all of that would be the hard part :X

I am not very concerned with getting collects from various zones for spawn data. I mostly just want the new content and features available from the newer expansions. I think it would probably also help with some technical issues (vista, dual core, etc).

So, if anyone has a better solution for getting Opcodes and Packet Structures, I will go out and buy it and start collecting right now. Normally they don't get any really big patches in until a month after a release anyway, unless they do one right at release.

Any thoughts? Figured we might as well discuss it now, or just wait another year :P The chance to upgrade to Anniversary has long passed us by, mainly due to it being nearly impossible to get. A new expansion should be readily available at any store that sells games for months at least, and maybe up to a year or so. So, until next year, this is our one chance to jump on it :P