View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

To anyone using this guide as a fresh/new server install. I have never setup a server before and I followed this guide to a T and was able to get my server and client running on the same machine with no problem. As of this writing I also used the two most brand spanking new versions of MySQL and ActivPerl installations.

I didn't use the bot installation as vales suggested so I get a couple of errors in my launcher but I'm not concerned with these and they do not effect gameplay if you're not using them. The one mistake I made was installing/checking out (with SVN) the quests and maps into a subfolder OF quests and maps; thus, build/quests/quests and build/maps/maps which is wrong; it should just be build/maps and build/quests. Otherwise when you log into your server the NPCs won't respond to hails for quest info and pathing is jacked up.

My client crashed on the first launch because my resolution is so high on my LCD monitor (1920x). After setting my res. down to 1400x the client loaded and I went to options and bumped the res to 1600. I logged out and then relaunched in a screen res of 1920 and then it worked fine.

I also started very light with the eqemu_config.xml file. I used the bare minimum configuration to enable my local client login. I didn't use the FULL version because I'm getting some odd heap dump CRT errors. I will slowly add the additional configuration lines to troubleshoot where the crashes are coming from.

I hope this helps other noobs like myself getting a server going for the first time.

-Shiny