View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Indeed I am interested Scorpious. I feel our community of world builders should share the work we do to a greater extent. At the moment there is not much custom content available "to pick and start from", there is pretty much only PEQ and Angelox DB.

Custom zone geometry is one thing we all could use. We could also start sharing some of our zone contents (not talking specifically about your zones here, we all have written some stuff on our own), custom quests etc. It is normal that server maintainers do not publish their whole world, and this is not what I am asking for. But when portions of a world contents became fairly well-known it may be time to share it, selectively.

One major problem for content sharing is the medium. Zone geometry files are whole, so that part is quite easy, it takes making the files available for download somewhere, with minimal instructions on how to put that to work. Content (DB, quest) is something else entirely.

My latest work on EQEmu was to write a wiki-based tool as a way of configuring (writing) content. The tool take scontent description from a wiki and generates the DB entries out of that. It would be a way to share, as the wiki part is very readable, and the generation works. But at the moment I have little time to devote to EQEmu so I have put it on hold.

People may want to ask what I have to share. I would like to get stuff, but what can I offer in return ? Well I do not have much, but I have written a few quests and tweaked some NPC drops for low-level adventuring. As I do not plan to run a public server for the moment I would have no problem sharing that with other content builders.

To sum up Scopious, new zones are very interesting and if you can make some of them available to us be sure you can count me among the grateful people who will look at them. I hope we can go further as time progresses, and that your initiative encourages our community to open some of our private gardens